In order for legal firms to fortify their cyber security defenses, it is crucial that they build a strong cyber security system within the organization.
Are Legal Firms a Target for Cyber Attacks?
Yes! In fact, legal firms are one of the most common targets for cyber attacks, with over 25% of surveyed legal firms claiming to have experienced a form of cyber attack in 2021.
Because legal firms hold a wealth of sensitive information on their clients, including financial data, personal contact details, and confidential legal documents, they are an obvious choice for cyber criminals.
Strong legal firm security is critical to protect clients information from falling into the wrong hands. One aspect of legal firm security is understanding the methods cyber attackers use to access sensitive data.
What Are Primary Data Concerns for Legal Firms?
To get the information legal firms keep, cyber attackers will deploy some of the following types of attacks:
Attackers send emails that look like they come from a legitimate source in order to trick recipients into clicking on a malicious link or attachment. The email may contain urgency to entice the victim to take action without thinking. For example, an email might say that the recipient’s account will be suspended unless they click on a link to update their information.
Attackers may try to encrypt legal firm data and demand a ransom for the decryption key. This is known as ransomware. Ransomware can be very difficult to remove and can cause a lot of damage to the legal firm’s data.
Hackers may try to infect legal firm computers with malware. This can allow the hacker to gain access to the legal firm’s network and steal data such as tracking the firm’s activity and even deleting files from the system. In addition, it can give the hacker control of the legal firm’s computers, which can be used to launch attacks against other companies or individuals.
A data breach occurs when an unauthorized person gains access to legal firm data. This can happen through a variety of means, such as hacking into the legal firm’s network, stealing a laptop or other device that contains legal firm data, or even by social engineering (tricking someone at the legal firm into giving up their login credentials). Hackers will even use brute force to crack a password and get access to accounts.
How Can Legal Firm Security Fight Cyber Attacks?
There are a few steps you can take to protect your legal firm’s data. The best legal firm security uses a combination of these steps to create a well-rounded defense.
- Educate your employees about cyber security best practices. Make sure they understand the importance of keeping the legal firm’s data safe.
- Implement a strict password policy. This includes using strong passwords, changing them regularly, and not sharing them with anyone.
- Keep your software up-to-date. This includes your operating system, web browser, and any applications you use. Cyber attackers often exploit vulnerabilities in outdated software to gain access to systems.
- Use two-factor authentication. This adds an extra layer of security by requiring a second form of identification, such as a fingerprint or code sent to a mobile device, in addition to a password.
- Use encryption to protect legal firm data. This makes it difficult for hackers to read the data even if they are able to gain access to it.
- Store sensitive data in a secure location. This could be a physical safe or an encrypted file storage system.
- Back up your data. This way, if your legal firm is hit with a ransomware attack, you will still have access to your data even if the attackers demand a ransom.
- Monitor your network for unusual activity. This can help you spot potential attacks early and take steps to stop them before they do any damage.
- Work with a cyber security expert to create a customized security plan for your legal firm. This can help you identify the specific threats you face and put in place the best defenses to protect your data.
Secure Your Data with Noftek Solutions
At Noftek, we understand how important it is to keep your firm safe from cyber attacks. Our Data Vaccination™ service covers a comprehensive set of cyber security solutions that can protect your legal firm’s data.
Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you boost your legal firm security.