Law firms today face a host of cybersecurity challenges such as data breaches and cyberattacks. If successful, these attacks can cause devastating consequences for both law firms and their clients. To protect themselves, many law firms must rely on some form of security software like anti-virus or endpoint detection and response (EDR) to keep their networks secure.
However, choosing the right security solution for your law firm is a critical decision. Here is a look at the benefits of each approach that can help you decide which one is right for your firm.
Stay Compliant: Protect Your Law Firm from a Cyberattack
It is important for law firms to stay compliant with cybersecurity regulations in order to protect their clients and business interests. Firms that do not comply by implementing security features could face heavy fines or sanctions, as well as damage to their reputation. These fines could range anywhere from $150,000 to $250,000.
What Is Anti-Virus?
Anti-virus is a type of security software that protects against malicious software. It scans incoming files and emails for threats, such as viruses and other forms of malware, and prevents them from entering the system. Anti-virus software is important in protecting networks, computers, and devices from cyberattacks.
Anti-Virus Software Benefits
Anti-virus offers many benefits that include the following:
- Cost-Effective: Anti-virus is cheaper because it’s easy to set up and easier to maintain.
- Real-Time Protection: Anti-virus can detect threats in real-time, which helps prevent potential damage from occurring.
- Accessibility for Smaller Firms: Since anti-virus software is easy to install and maintain, it’s more accessible to smaller firms that may not have the budget or resources to invest in endpoint detection and response.
- Basic Protection: It offers protection against various threats, including viruses, spyware, Trojans, worms, adware, and ransomware.
What Is Endpoint Detection and Response?
EDR is an advanced security solution that monitors endpoint devices and networks for malicious activity. It uses artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning to detect, analyze, and respond to cyber threats. It also provides real-time visibility into endpoint activities, allowing firms to identify and respond to potential threats quickly.
Endpoint Detection and Response Benefits
Endpoint detection and response offers more comprehensive protection than anti-virus software. Its benefits include the following:
- Automated Response: It automates the response process by identifying threats and taking action to mitigate them, allowing firms to quickly respond to threats.
- Advanced Threat Detection: EDR incorporates anti-virus and uses AI and machine learning to detect advanced threats that anti-virus may not be able to identify.
- Comprehensive Protection: It offers protection against a variety of threats, including malware, ransomware, endpoint vulnerabilities, data exfiltration, malicious insider activity, account compromise, and more.
- Integrated Incident Response: It also provides integrated incident response capabilities like endpoint quarantine, endpoint isolation, and endpoint data archiving.
Which Solution Is Right for You?
When deciding which endpoint security solution is right for your law firm, it is important to consider the cost, complexity, and protection level. Anti-virus can provide basic protection and is more affordable for smaller firms, whereas endpoint detection and response offers advanced protection which helps protect from the increasing sophistication of cyber attacks.
For example, anti-virus software typically only scans for known malicious files, which means any new and unknown threats will go undetected. On the other hand, endpoint detection response solutions use machine learning algorithms to detect suspicious activity that may indicate a potential attack. The system can then alert security teams to take action quickly before damage is done.
When it comes to endpoint security for law firms, endpoint detection and response solutions are quickly becoming the preferred choice. However, the right solution will depend on your firm’s budget and level of security needs. By taking the time to assess your options, you can ensure that you are selecting the endpoint security solution that is best for your firm.
Secure Your Law Firm with Noftek
At Noftek, we offer cyber protection that provides comprehensive security against threats from both internal and external bad actors.
We specifically use Data Vaccination™ solutions to identify what needs to be protected and develop a tailored security solution that reduces, detects, responds, and recovers from cyberattacks. Come talk to us today for more information on how you can take action to protect your law firm.